Veggie Burger with a Tahini-lemon sauce
von Karina Walsh
For the Burger:
• 1 flax egg (mix 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp of water – leave for 5 min in the fridge)
• 1 tsp of olive oil
• 1 onion (finely diced)
• 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
• 1 large carrot (grated)
• 1 medium zucchini (grated)
• 1 tin of red beans
• 1/4 to 1/3 cup glutenfree flour
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/4 tsp paprika powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat up a saucepan with the olive oil (or coconut oil) and add the onions, garlic, carrots and zucchini to it and sautee until slightly soft (5min).
- Pour the vegetables into a large bowl and stir in all the spices.
- In a food processor blend the red beans until mostly smooth and only a few chunks left..
- Mix it in with the vegetables.
- Stir in the flaxseed egg and flour and add some seasoning, if desired.
- Form 4 patties and cover them with cling film and keep them in the fridge for about 15-20min.
- Fry the patties in a big pan in some coconut oil for about 4-5min from each side (or until slightly brown)
For the Tahini sauce:
• 2 tbsp Tahini
• 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 2-3 tbsp water
- Mix all ingredients together and stir well until smooth.
Instead of normal (wheat flour) burger buns, I used roasted sweet potato. I added some fresh ruccola, placed the burger on top, drizzled some of the sauce over it and put the avocado and a slice of tomato on it and finished it off with a bit more sauce.
If you prefer, you could also toast some rye bread or seed bread and use it instead of the bun.
Hope you enjoy this one.